St. Basil’s Cathedral and Kremlin, Moscow, Russia

Author: admin | Category: Russian | Tags:

St. Basil’s marks the geometric center of Moscow (not to be confused with the geographic center, the Ivan the Great Bell Tower). It has been the hub of the city’s growth since the 14th century  and was the city’s tallest building until the completion of the Ivan the Great Bell Tower in 1600. 

The original building, known as “Trinity Church” and later “Trinity Cathedral”, contained eight side churches arranged around the ninth, central church of Intercession; the tenth church was erected in 1588 over the grave of venerated local saint Vasily (Basil). In the 16th and 17th centuries the church, perceived as the earthly symbol of the Heavenly City,  as happens to all churches in Byzantine Christianity, was popularly known as the “Jerusalem” and served as an allegory of the J erusalem Temple in the annual Palm Sunday parade attended by the Patriarch of Moscow and the tsar. 

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.